Thursday, May 05, 2016

Volunteering Act

Recently, my friends and I went to Lovely Disabled Home to complete our 32 hours of social work. Initially, what I had in mind for this social work was handling the disabled people with some interactions and involvement with them. What I expected was not exactly what actually happened. On the first day we went there, I was surprised to know we were actually doing recycling job with them. Despite being surprised, I did it anyway. The first day was really tiring as I wasn't preparing myself for it.

Going back to college, I had some thoughts to myself. "What is actually social work? Did what I expected was far from a real social work?" Ended up I decided to be more open minded and prepare myself for our next visit to the home care.

During our next visit, I tried communicating with the residents and enjoy the works I did there. The communication with the residents did help easing the tiredness. I had some laugh with the jokes they made. It ended up being a lot more better compared to the first visit. The following visits were getting even better and I enjoyed myself more than I expected in the first place. 

Despite of the amount of newspaper needed to be sorted, I was actually enjoying the works.

Aside from doing all this sorting the recyclable items, we also went for items collecting around the residential houses. It was nice to know there were nice people like them. Not only they did help to save the nature, they also help this Lovely Disabled Home to gain money for their home care expenses. No one took my picture during the items collection so I can't share it :(

This was taken during our last visit there. We made some cards for each of the resident there.

The card I made for Ah Seng. Little Angels refers to them.

There were a lot of things I had learned from the visits to Lovely Disabled Home. One of it was volunteering act. I became more aware of how one simple act can reduce another person loads. During one of our visits there, one group of volunteers joined us to sort the recyclable items. Among them, I noticed there were also children around the age of 5 and 6. What came instantly to my thought was, how lucky they were to be exposed to this kind of volunteering act. Being in my condition being exposed to these kind of act at the age of 19, it was quite hard to adapt. We really need to have the awareness regarding the importance of volunteering. There are people who need our help, if its not in form of money, there are many other forms of help we can offer such as our time.

Written by,
Nurul Amira Syahirah Zamzam
KEU150040

No comments:

Post a Comment