Thursday, May 05, 2016

Life Was Tough, But Theirs...Way Tougher.



I dunno where to start...but for a past few weeks finishing our Social Engagement project, was really a new experience for me. To be frank, 32 hours volunteering at a recycle center with a gifted community totally wear me out, physically and mentally. Imagine, being an only guy in our group, plus my introvert and lazy trait, have to get to the recycling center short after finishing a class, doing the same thing over and over, is not an easy job. And only god knows the hardship of recycling, even paper is classified into three groups. Even imagining about it is tiring, but...32 hours past in a jiffy, and I gained a few things when spending time with my group and with Lovely Disable Home community.

Interaction is a really hard thing for me, as I'm lacking of social skill. Speaking with Lovely Disabled Home members is limited because only a few of them capable speaking national language or English. But there is this guy, Ah Lun, every time I saw him, he always had a word for me, even though I don't understand a single word and had to be translated by my friends...I admire his efforts try to engage conversation between us. And there is one friendly grandpa, capable of speaking Malay and often make a joke. These guys taught me that conversation isn't always in form of speaking, and I'm still in a long way polishing my social skill.

I  respect their dedication of them doing their job, repeatedly classifying those what we called "garbage" without a single sigh or whine. And they are happy doing their job, smiling all the way. For normal people it would an outstanding boring routine, but I guess a boring routine can't beat the bond formed between them. As the 32 hours past, we're back with our own daily routine. To be honest, I'm quite disappointed, because I did  not have the chance to give my card during our last session. But overall,  I had learned a lot through this project and I am grateful toward my understanding group for picking me up as member of 9G1B and special thanks to the Lovely Disabled Home for the experiences and memories.

Written by,

Muhammad Ikmal Aiman Bin Sahidan
KEU150029

No comments:

Post a Comment