Thursday, May 05, 2016


A DAY TO REMEMBER

My first thought about this course-social engagement was some kind of boring. I bet all student feeling the same -_- .Automatically, you will picture the scenery of some old folks home and orphanage. We will be doing some chores, games and etc. But when i heard about Disable Lovely Home, it makes me wonder what I will be doing there??? I search the website beforehand, but it was all in Mandarin and at that time i was so dense about the Google translate. I should learn more about IT ==. In the end, i got a brief explanation from Yin Theng that we will be doing some recycling.
Our first day at the recycling center was quite unexpected. I thought that we will sort the item into plastic, paper and aluminium category like we all see in the advertisement. There is also section in doing that but my first day task is to fold the clothes. Some of us will check either the clothes are in good condition- no holes, zip still functioning and etc. Then, clothes that pass our inspection will be folded and stored in a big white sack. Truthfully, that was the first time I fold clothes as much as SEVEN SACK IN LESS THAN 4 HOURS. It is tiring but I gain new experience and found new talent in me-FOLDING CLOTHES.
Our next visit, I got new task different from before which is in the paper section. We need to sort the paper in 4 categories- newspaper, magazine, black and white and lastly mixed-colored paper. It was seriously enormous tons of work to do but actually we could do it faster without the talking..hahaha but we need to do so.
LOOK AT THOSE AMOUNT OF NEWSPAPER.. IT TOOK A LOT OF TIME TO BE SORTED

Engagement cannot be done without talking, right? So while doing my task, I get to meet new special friends. I introduce my new friend  Nam Zheng.

                                                                                                                            

  
How should I describe him? Well he is a bit grumpy but I find it fascinating to work with him. I have a younger brother who has autism and I can fully understand their behavior. It requires a lot of effort to mingle with them but times certainly will help. Once you could mingle with them, it will be your sweetest moment. Of course there is some communication issue but I will take that as a small challenge in achieving bigger result.

Lastly, i gained a lot of new experience from this social engagement activity. I learned that people that having difficulty to work by themselves like them in Lovely Disable Home could work and gain some income from it. People that have disability should not be prejudiced. They also can do work like us, it is just that we need to offer them a little help such as medium to do so like what Lovely Disable Home did. I hope that many people out there realized that. That’s all from me and enjoys reading our blog!!!!!

 Written by
Nurul Shahira Binti Nor Azizan
Keu150044

No comments:

Post a Comment