Thursday, May 05, 2016

The Obscure Angels

My participation as a volunteer at Lovely  Disabled Home under Social Engagement, a university course was indeed an exhausting, patience challenging yet exciting and interesting experience. What we actually did was collection of recycled materials in the housing area at SS2 and SS23 and doing recycled materials categorization together with these special kids. To be precise, these angels are all adults (age ranged from 19 to 40 plus) but their intelligence level is just like a child. This was not my first time as a volunteer of environmental activities, but I didn't have any interaction with these special kids before and I must say that I was touched by their innocence and optimism towards life. In their eyes, this is a simple and joyous world, there is no such thing as hypocrisy,

There are 7 of them - Ah Lun, Wei Hao, Ah Seng, Lam Seng, Lian Kang, Ah Xiong and Ming Hua (elites among the rest) who helped us at the centre. Ah Lun is the most talkative one and the smartest, he loves to make jokes which never fail to make us laugh. Whereas Ming Hua don't speak at all and everytime  I try to talk to him, he will just smile and say nothing. Ah Seng is the boss and he is the one giving orders to his partners, though his tone is a bit harsh, but he didn't mean any harm at all. Wei Hao is the youngest among them- 19 years old and the most childish and cutest one. He always keep on repeating his name to everyone he sees again and again, just like a child longing for attention. Lam Seng is a bit more emotional agitated, he used to throw tantrum over small matters and sit in the corner alone for one whole day, ignoring others' presence. But sometimes he will be in an extraordinary good mood for no reasons. Lian Kang and Ah Xiong are quite introvert and shy, but if you could just spend some time to speak to them, they can be quite talkative too.



I really like spending time with these kids and their perspective of views sometimes suprised me, to them, it is like no trouble is a trouble, why make things so complicated. How I  wish I can live like a happy go lucky style just like them. Also, they taught me a lot of things regarding recycle and I just realised that all these recycled materials can be categorised into so many types.  For instance, paper can be divided into black and white, coloured, cardboard and magazine.

I never regret to be a volunteer at Lovely Disabled Home, this whole experience impacts me a lot and all these memories will always be in my heart forever.
If you happen to read this post, I sincerely hope that you can consider to take a step and be a volunteer too. These kids deserve to live a normal life with dignity too. Your help means a lot to them.
 You can go check out more at http://www.lovelydisabledhome.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment